Wednesday 15 August 2012

Guest Author - Carol E Wyer

Today I am delighted and honoured to have Carol E Wyer joining me again. Happy publication day, Carol!  








I offered Carol a guest post to celebrate the launch of her latest novel Surfing in Stilettos and I was overwhelmed when I read her post.  I am delighted and honoured to have found such a friend online.



Over the last two years I have discovered a magical world, not Disneyland, this world is the World Wide Web – the internet. I used to be a Luddite when it came to the internet. I wrote my books out by hand into notebooks. Before I began writing seriously I had no idea what a blog was, how to use Word or indeed anything about social media. I had a Facebook account only so I could keep tabs on my son and I had six friends, three of whom were my son’s friends who decided I was worth befriending for some unfathomable reason.

Two and a half years later and I now know so many wonderful people; I have a blossoming blog that is followed by hundreds of followers. I have a lively Facebook page and a personal page. I have a Twitter account. I belong to so many sites I can’t remember all my passwords and I now can type my novels directly onto the screen. I even write for other websites and give writers tutorials on how to make book trailers or use various sites.

This has all happened thanks to research for my novels. My first book, Mini Skirts and Laughter Lines, is about a woman facing 50 who is struggling with life. She is friendless and the only way she can cope with the madness around her is to blog about it. To become the character of Amanda Wilson, the protagonist of the novel, I too had to learn how to blog. Amanda’s life blossoms the more she is on-line as does her love life which takes on a new dimension when she rekindles a relationship on Facebook with an old flame. The novel is about relationships and friendships as well as about getting older. I too have found very good friends thanks to the internet. (But maybe not an ex-boyfriend on Facebook!)

My latest novel is again humorous but this one also hints at the dark side of the internet. Amanda finds herself in danger when an on-line stalker mistakes her for another person.
You may be detecting a trend here. Yes, I am becoming seriously interested in the on-line world, the blogging community and the social networks that are available to us. Once the domain if the young, many of us older people are using Twitter, Facebook and other sites to chat, make friends and more!

For the last two years I have really enjoyed being Amanda Wilson, getting into character and working out how she would behave in any situation. Being light-hearted and amused by most things in life she has made me view my own life through refreshed eyes. I now appreciate my family and my time here more than ever. I am also grateful to her for my wonderful internet life which would not have existed without her.

Surfing in Stilettos will be the last novel about Amanda Wilson, her grumpy husband Phil and the incredibly popular mother, Grace. It is time for me to draw a line under Amanda and move onto my next novel which is still humorous but a departure from her.

Thanks to writing I have not only been enjoying something I am passionate about but I have found a whole new way to enjoy life and have made some very valuable friendships en route.
So, I’d like to use my opportunity here to thank one of those who wonderful people, Dizzy C who has followed me all the time I have been blogging and writing and who has offered me endless help, encouragement and support. Thank heavens for the internet!


Surfing in Stilettos is out in paperback and 
an EBook to be published by ThornBerry Publishing out late September/early October 

Please do pop over and join the celebrations with Carol today at Facing50withhumour   There is a lot more going on over there. 


Look out for my review and a giveaway in the next post!

No comments:

Post a Comment