Tuesday 12 February 2013

W.I.P. Weds - Allie Spencer


Today Allie Spencer shares her latest WIP and chats about weddings and a cute dog.

Thank you for being my guest today, Allie



Save the Date! By Allie Spencer

My work in progress is very nearly finished. I did the one, solitary correction from my editor (I’m not normally so lucky when it comes to corrections!) yesterday and Save the Date! should soon be winging its way to the copy editor for the final stage of its journey. Save the Date! Is my third novel for Arrow and the last one for now to be set in an exotic location – and it was huge fun to write:
You can choose your friends...
The only thing worse than the family from hell, is the family wedding from hell and Ailsa Stuart is dreading being marooned in Italy with her nearest and not-so-dearest for the nuptials of her cousin Jessica, especially because she has a very good reason hate romance in general – a very handsome reason called Nick Bertolini, whom she walked out on six months before and hasn’t heard from since.
But once out in Italy, Ailsa has more than her own worries to think about: the Jessica’s father calls off the wedding; the bride goes into melt-down and Ailsa does her best to turn their heartbreak hotel into a happy-ever-after...but when Nick himself turns up out of the blue – and the sparks really begin to fly.
Will it be wedding bells or broken hearts? Confetti or catastrophe? And can Ailsa and Nick stop arguing long enough to remember why they fell hopelessly in love in the first place?
I’ve wanted to write a wedding book for some time now. As well as being supremely romantic occasions, weddings can also be very fraught and the potential for things going spectacularly wrong is very high indeed – all wonderful fodder for a rom com writer like me! I also love writing about family relationships. I grew up in a very large, extended collection of aunts, uncles, cousins and grandparents and I relish the way that family members can fall out for a while but then pull together and make up their differences when the chips are down. We all need our families and love them to bits, although we still drive each other bonkers from time to time!

As far as plotting and planning go, like to know what I’m writing about before I start – I’m not a ‘pantser’ by any means! But books can have minds of their own (or at least it sometimes feels like that!) When I plotted the story originally, I had no intention of putting any animals in but, as I wrote what is now the second chapter where my heroine Ailsa is checking into the hotel, I suddenly heard the pit-pat of a dog’s paws on the floor behind her...and there was a cheeky Jack Russell terrier with a big doggy grin on his face. I absolutely fell in love with love him – in my head, he’s the spitting image of the little dog in the film The Artist and I had real fun – as well as a few tear-jerking moments – weaving him into the novel.
So – weddings, a cheeky dog and a hero who is hotter than a sunbed in the Sahara; but what else? Well, I made sure there are some corkscrew-like plot twists, a lot of laughs and more than a few tears. I loved writing it – and I hope you have as much fun reading it! 


One very lovely cover

Find out more about Allie Spencer at


Twitter @Allie1spencer

 Little Black Dress Facebook page

Also 'Summer Nights' the fabulous summer novel by award-winning author ALLIE SPENCER. Published June 2012 from Arrow.


Authors, would you like to share your WIP and connect with readers, please contact me for details.
DizzyC

No comments:

Post a Comment