Wednesday 23 May 2012

Who am I to judge? (book covers)

New occasional feature here on the blog.

The saying goes....Don't judge a book by it's cover.... but, come on folks, they would all have plain covers if the authors/publishers didn't believe that the cover has an impact on us.

I am often really surprised when I see a book with a mediocre cover that hides a fantastic read.

I thought I would share some of them with you.

First up.....

84 CHARING CROSS ROAD - HELENE HANFF

Apologies for half a book cover and my mug
I was a newish blogger when I added this photo and only one I
have of the book cover in question. That is my excuse and I am sticking to it!

I picked this one up from the library after seeing other book fans reading it on an on-line forum.

Now, I know the jacket is a classic jacket for a classic novel, but it certainly gives no clue to the fabulous read within.

Here is what I had to say about this novel

Have been ranting about this novel ever since I picked it up!

How did I miss this wonderful read.  

84 Charing Cross Road contains letters written between Helene Hanff, a New York writer and Frank Doel, and other staff at Marks & Co Booksellers.
It began with a letter requesting books to be sent from the bookshop in London to Helene in the USA in 1949.  Over the years Helene and Frank's friendship develops to the point that Helene sends food parcels to the staff at Marks & Co during rationing and has requests to come and visit England.  The letters end in 1969 when Frank's wife still requests Helene to come and visit.  The lost art of letter writing is encaptured here.  Ordering books from Amazon is a world away from this.

There are some lovely references historical events over the years


The Duchess of Bloomsbury Street is a journal kept by Helene when she finally visits England in 1971.  
It is a detailed account of her time in London, Oxford and Stratford Upon Avon.  It reads like a tourist guide and I could identify with how excited Helene was to finally see the sights she had read about including Tower of London, St Paul's Cathedral, Shakesphere's birthplace.  I do envy the fact that she had been inside St Paul's. Something I still have to do.  

It also introduces the reader to some wonderful people she met whilst here, including the fab Joyce Grenfell.  84 Charing Cross did not appear, at the time to be a bestseller, but like Helene said it was what brought her to London and opened doors for her.

In the journal Helene has managed to highlight some of the differences between USA and UK folk and some of our strange UK customs that oversees visitors cannot understand.

One example that actually comes up in my previous posting (at the end as a P.s), The search continues, springs to mind about language difference.

She writes
Nobody over here  says "six-thirty" or "seven-thirty", they say "hoppossix" and "hopposseven". And 'in'  at home, is 'trendy' here and 'give it up' is 'pack it in'  and 'never mind' is 'not to worry'.

hoppossix and hopposseven - 
half past six and half past seven.  We also say quarter past and quarter to the hour rather than 6.15 or 6.45.  We teach it in schools. 

I am 'in' when I am home. I tell my kids to 'pack it in' when misbehaving and I still use 'not to worry'.  :)

I loved this book.

5/5 for me!

DIZZYC



No comments:

Post a Comment