Tuesday 8 January 2013

W.I.P. Wednesday - 9th January



Today I welcome back to the blog, Phillipa Ashley to share one of her latest WIP projects

Thank you, Phillipa

photo courtesy of the author

IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT – Phillipa Ashley

My work in progress is now virtually complete, as it’s at the production stage with my publisher Piatkus Entice.
It Happened One Night is my second romantic novel for Entice but the seventh I’ve had published. This is the blurb which Piatkus let me write myself, which is always great fun.

Sophie McBride has been in love with Adam Templar for as long as she can remember. Talented, brilliant and sexy, he shines like the sun over the tiny Lakeland village where she's grown up. Now, at eighteen, she has her own big ideas and what's more, Adam is home from university and has finally noticed her . . . really noticed her. When he asks her to a party, she dares to hope that all her dreams can come true, but what happens that night sets off a chain of events that bring heartbreak for Sophie - and lead to Adam leaving Langmere under the darkest of clouds.

Ten years later, no one is more shocked than Sophie to find him back in the village. Now an up-and-coming film director, he's returned to make a drama about a notorious local poet and brought his glamorous cast, crew - and girlfriend - with him. As the on-screen drama plays out, can Sophie and Adam lay the past to rest or will history repeat itself?

 My inspiration for the story came from three main sources; my love of the Lake District and the experience I had visiting a film set when my debut novel, Decent Exposure was made into a US TV movie in 2009. Ever since then I’ve wanted to set a romance against the backdrop of a film set.

However, settings and ‘plot’ don’t make a romantic novel: character does. For some time, I’d had the idea for a book about two idealistic and passionate people who had an intense relationship when they were young – and meet up again after many years. In fact I’d written about lovers reunited in an earlier book, but It Happened One Night is a much longer, and dare I say more dramatic and in-depth story, with lots of plot twists and high emotion – and light hearted moments too.

For research I spent a day as an extra on a student film which was anything but glamorous (as you’ll see from the book!) and I also got advice on the making of a movie/series from my day on the set of my own film and from the producer of ‘my’ movie. We have a flat in the Lake District and during our house hunt; we almost bought a copperminer’s cottage in Coniston. We didn’t get that cottage but I’ve used it as the inspiration for the heroine, Sophie’s home.

It Happened One Night is published on June 3rd by Piatkus Entice as an e book initially.



Twitter: @phillipaashley

Discover Piatkus Entice: temptation at your fingertips - www.piatkusentice.co.uk



Authors, for your chance to share your W.I.P. with readers, please email me for details

No comments:

Post a Comment