Friday 9 December 2011

Review - Confessions of a Karaoke Queen - Ella Kingsley


  • Publisher: Sphere (8 Dec 2011)
  • ISBN-13: 978-0751545944

The blurb

Maddie Mulhern is suddenly in charge. 


Her parents - former 80s pop duo Pineapple Mist - have left for the summer on a nostalgia tour, entrusting her to manage their struggling karaoke bar, Sing It Back. Panicking over the dodgy finances, Maddie takes a gamble: she signs up for a fly-on-the-wall reality TV series. With her faithful staff (divalicious drag queen Ruby, shy barman Simon and wannabe actress Jasmine) she'll transform the bar into a huge success. Simple. Right? 


Executive Producer Evan Bergman knows that scandal sells. It's no coincidence that he hires cool, attractive Nick Craven as director. Evan wants drama on screen - and he'll do anything to get it. As the series builds to a live finale, will Maddie see the truth in a Careless Whisper? Will Nick be able to keep his Poker Face? 


One thing's for sure: we all do things at karaoke that we regret ...


With a fabulous cast of friends and work colleagues, Maddie and co entertained me with a nostalgic look back over the music of the 80's, even though some of them were seeing the music as retro 80's and had not been there themselves.  


I had to pause at the beginning of each new chapter as these were each titled after a famous track from my teen years, and I had to sing along, in my head.   On the downside, and this is only a little downside, was that I found the many references to music slowed the story down a little.


The characters, even those with dubious intentions, had their own part to play in the future of Pinapple Mist, the Karaoke Bar that needed reviving and bringing into this century.


My favourite characters were Ruby and Louise.  I have to say, I did not like Maddie at the beginning of the story.  She was a little too dizzy for me and I was not happy that she jumped into a contract so casually.
This would all change as I followed her story and I changed my view of her.


If you lived for 80's music or love the retro feel of the 80's you will enjoy this novel.






3.5 out of 5 for me!


Thank you to Sphere for a review copy

No comments:

Post a Comment