Friday 3 February 2012

Guest Author - Charlotte Betts

The Apothecary’s Daughter by Charlotte Betts
is published by Piatkus
as a paperback original on the 2
nd February 2012 £7.99
Today I have the honour and pleasure of introducing Charlotte Betts - author of The Apothecary's Daughter.  


Charlotte shares with us her inspiration for writing her latest novel.


photos courtesy of the publisher


Samuel Pepys made me do it!


I have to blame Samuel Pepys for making me write The Apothecary’s Daughter. I’d completed six contemporary novels, none of them published, when I decided to attempt an historical novel. I’d always enjoyed watching period dramas and reading historical novels but it had never occurred to me that I could write one. At school history had always been monumentally boring and even now it makes me yawn to remember all those lists of dull dates we were given to memorise.

My previous novel was a WWII love story. Some people would call that a historical novel but to me it was set in the time when my parents were young and so it didn’t count as history. But I’d been fascinated by the research, especially the original sources such as Granny’s recipes and memories and letters home from soldiers to their sweethearts.

When it came to writing my own historical Iwasn’t sure what period in time I wanted to write about. The Tudor market was already well covered by Philippa Gregory, the medieval period by Elizabeth Chadwick and there were more Regency Romances on the shelves than I could read in a lifetime. I didn’t fancy the English Civil War because of dour Oliver Cromwell and the joyless Puritans banning Christmas but then there was Charles II. His paintings show heavy-lidded, sexy eyes and dark colouring and he looked very glamorous in high heels, a luxuriant black wig and a full-skirted coat. But definitely not girly.

I discussed this with my father one day. ‘You absolutely must read The Diary of Samuel Pepys,’ he said, taking a copy off his bookshelf. I sat up all night reading it, fascinated by how very real Sam Pepys felt to me, even after three hundred and fifty years. Although well-known at Court and in government circles Pepys was ambitious. He loved his wife even though they argued often over his incorrigible flirting (and worse!) or because on washing day his dinner wasn’t ready. Sometimes he drank too much.

His diary gives an insight into a thoroughly flawed but ultimately likeable human being. The colourful, day by day descriptions of life and times in Restoration London, teeming with life, plague-ridden and full of political intrigue, is what inspired me to write The Apothecary’s Daughter.

I’m starting to research my next book, which will be set soon after the Great Fire of London and I need a vivid picture of what it was like. How did people manage after their homes and businesses were destroyed? What was happening in Parliament? Were there any wars going on?

There’s only one way to find out. I’m about to settle down by the fire with a glass of wine in one hand, a box of chocolates beside me and The Diary of Samuel Pepys on my knee. Sorry, must go; the world of Restoration London is waiting for me again.



I would like to thank Charlotte for taking time to talk to me and wish her Happy Publication Day!


DizzyC

No comments:

Post a Comment