Thursday 5 July 2012

Guest Author - Kate Lace

KATE LACE is celebrating the publication of her novel COX


  • Publisher: Arrow (5 July 2012)
  • ISBN-13: 978-0099570820

Thank you for being guest today, Kate

I find it quite unsettling to be asked, as an author, to do a guest blog for Dizzy C.  No – I don’t wish to imply in the slightest that it’s her blog that’s unsettling me, far from it.  It’s a great blog with loads of interesting articles and reviews and I am very flattered to be asked to contribute, honest.  It’s the fact that people think of me as an author that I find a bit weird.  I know in my heart that if you’ve written sixteen books that is definitely how people will tend to regard you but it still astounds me that
A. I have racked up that number and
B. people buy and read them. 
To say I feel a total fraud is an understatement and I am waiting to be found out.  Being asked to guest as an author on Dizzy C’s blog just compounds that feeling.

More often than not, when I read interviews or blogs about authors, they tend to include the sentence ‘I always wanted to write’.  Or ‘I can’t remember a time when I wasn’t making up stories’.  Me?  No.  I thought those awful essays we have to write at school – you know the ones… ‘what I did on my holiday’ – were a total waste of time and effort.  And then when I left school and joined the army, I wrote memos, signals, briefing papers, and all sorts of jargon-filled military letters and documents.  Did creative writing play a part in any of that?  Absolutely not.

After eight years of using phrases like ‘nil returns required’ and ‘expedite’ I left the army to start a family.  From the next three years, when I wasn’t producing kids or moving house, all I wrote was Christmas cards and shopping lists – again, hardly a training ground for a potential author.  But it all changed when I was asked to help with the organisation of a magazine for army wives and suddenly I found myself writing a regular column.  The column led to a book being published, and then another and finally a novel, and that was it. 

Of course, to begin with I wrote about what I knew.  The first six books were army based (surprise, surprise) but then I branched out and used things I learned in the army or other things I’d done since to provide backgrounds; skiing, sailing, working with a TV company…  But then I realised I could use ‘research’ to find out about wonderful other worlds.  Telling people I’m an author, researching a book really does open doors, even if I felt a total con-artist doing it.  But it means I’ve been to Silverstone as a guest of the Williams team and I’ve been shown around the servant’s quarters at Blenheim Place and last year I spent a glorious day at Henley Royal Regatta.

Which leads me to my latest book – Cox.  Henley is just down the road from where I live and it was the trip there that made me realise what a wonderful glamorous world rowing can be; fit men in lycra, bands playing, Pimms, hats, frocks, blazers and flannels….  It was bliss.  So, I just hope that in this book I have managed to convey this fab world to my readers and I don’t get found out about being a hoaxer just yet.  


Find out more about Kate and her novels here

Follow on twitter @LaceKate



No comments:

Post a Comment