Tuesday 18 October 2011

Guest Author - Deborah Swift

Today, I have the honour and pleasure of interviewing Deborah Swift - Author of The Lady's Slipper


Photos courtesy of the Author




Deborah, please tell us a little about yourself

I live in on the Lancashire and Cumbria border in a lovely old village with two pubs and a post office, and glorious walks on my doorstep. I divide my time between writing and teaching. In the evenings I teach martial arts and Creative Writing. (Not at the same time!) I used to work as a designer in the theatre so always enjoyed a good drama and I love to listen to a story told live. The National Centre for Storytelling is in Grasmere near where I live, so there is quite a storytelling 'scene' round here. My favourite storytellers are Hugh Lupton and Daniel Morden.



 The Lady's Slipper is set in a turbulent time for England and religion.  How did you decide to focus on that time period and the Quaker movement?

There is one of the old meeting houses just up the road from my house and several other sites such as Quaker burial grounds which are beautiful and tranquil. The gravestones are all exactly the same to show that no man is ever better than his neighbour - whether king or commoner. You would never guess from the cosy little meeting house that the Quaker movement was originally viewed as extremist and dangerous. These contrasting aspects of radicalism and tranquillity fascinated me. And I wondered how a Quaker, who has vowed non-violence, might fare in a time where everyone carried a sword, and when England was still violent and class-ridden.



As a costume designer,  which period in history would you like to have been a dressmaker?

I have to say I love the Victorian period. Can't think why I haven't yet written anything set in the 19th century. I love the tight-lacing and voluminous yards of petticoats. A whalebone corset was a work of art in itself  - precision engineering in rose-pink satin, whalebone and silk! Also, the Victorians were the most craft-orientated in terms of decorative fabrics. Ladies made bows, ruffles, rosettes, embroidery, beadwork and other embellishments. I'm also a bit of a sucker for their mourning attire like veiling, hats with "weepers" and heavy jet jewellery.



What are you working on now?

I'm working on a historical adventure/romance set in Seville in the late Elizabethan times. It features a lot of swordplay which is exciting to write. I have spent many years teaching sword techniques to students in my martial arts classes, so it is nice to connect that side of my work to my writing.
But the book I have just finished is a sequel to The Lady's Slipper, called The Gilded Lily. "The Gilded Lily" is the name of a shop in Restoration London where women go to make themselves more attractive with potions, powders and paint. It will be out next year. It can take as long as eighteen months after a book is finished for the publisher to process it, and for it to reach the shelves.



What books are on your bedside table?

At the moment I have "The Darling Strumpet" by Gillian Bagwell, about Nell Gwyn - a very good read. "Duende" - an autobiographical book on Flamenco by Jason Webster, which is also excellent, very funny. Yet to start - "The Earth hums in B Flat" by Mari Strachan. And my bedside table is also cluttered with lots of other research books on Elizabethan England and The Spanish Inquisition. Though I wouldn't recommend the latter for bedtime reading! : )

Thank you Deborah for taking time out to be interviewed

You can find out more about Deborah and her books here

No comments:

Post a Comment