Tuesday 11 October 2011

Guest Author - Shari Low


Today I have the honour and pleasure of interviewing Shari Low.  Her latest novel Friday Night with the Girls is available today!
  • Publisher: Piatkus Books (13 Oct 2011)
  • ISBN-10: 0749952164
  • ISBN-13: 978-0749952167
Photo courtesy of the publisher




1.   Shari, please tell us a little about yourself?

I live in Glasgow with the most patient husband on the planet and my two hilarious boys (aged 9 & 10). I started work on my first book when I was 30, after husband tired of me wailing that I wanted to be a writer and pointed out that step one towards that goal would be to actually write something. Twelve books later, I’m still going, the washing pile is the size of Everest and he pretends not to find it strange that I spend all day locked in a room making up imaginary friends. I also write features, screenplays, book reviews and a weekly opinion column for the Daily Record – a job I love because I get to have a rant about things that irk me and poke gentle fun at celebrities.

2.   What is your idea of a good Friday night with the girls?

I have a fantastic crowd of girlfriends that I love dearly. My husband always says he didn’t realise when he married me that I came with four woman sitting around my kitchen table at all times. Most of us are mums so juggling babysitters so a night out can be a challenge. We tend to save the swanky nights on the town for birthdays and Christmas, when we’ll pour ourselves into the high heels and the Spanx, and head into Glasgow for dinner and some really bad mum-dancing. Other than that, we get together at couple of times a week for a quick coffee and then at least once a week with a couple of bottles of wine for a good gab. Some of my best ever Friday nights have been entirely spontaneous, with the girls dropping in and before you know it it’s midnight and we’ve laughed, discussed a dozen different subjects and sorted out the world. If the United Nations would like to get in touch, we have suggestions.

3.   What would be your ideal night with your date? (I have been with my other half for 6 years but still like to call our nights out, dates )

My dream date with my husband would be a shopping trip in New York, followed by a bit of a pamper, and then dinner in the Boat House restaurant in Central Park. It’s my favourite place on earth. Back in the real world, I’m happy with dinner at a fantastic Indian restaurant near our home, then back home for a movie and a snuggle on the couch. Yep, I’m so rock n roll!

4.   You are a mum as well as an author, how do you manage to juggle the two?

With lots of lists and not a lot of sleep. My boys are brilliant at heading out into the garden for a football-fest if I’m panicking over a deadline. In general I work while they’re at school, stop to collect them, then head back into the office when they go to bed. My husband pitches in at weekends too and we somehow manage to make it work. The kids and the dog never get neglected but the ironing, the hoovering and gardening occasionally fall to the bottom of the To-Do list.

5.   What are you working on next?

I’ve just finished my next book (with much jubilation and relief!). It’s a complicated tangle of relationships involving several different dynamics in an extended family. I’m really excited about it as it’s set in some gorgeous locations and I became ridiculously attached to a couple of the characters. As with all my books, I hadn’t decided on the ending until I wrote it so it was as much of a lovely surprise for me as I hope it will be for the readers. 

Thank you for spending time with us today, Shari.

You can find out more about Shari Low and her novels here

No comments:

Post a Comment