Wednesday 9 November 2011

Guest Author - Pam Jenoff

Today I have the honour and pleasure of interviewing Pam Jenoff Author of The Diplotmat's Wife and her latest release The Things We Cherished


After reading Pam's answers, I think she is an inspiration to all busy mums out there. I have 3 children myself but,  I really don't know how she does it?



  • Publisher: Sphere (10 Nov 2011)
  • ISBN-13: 978-0751547290

 Pam, thank you for being guest author. Please tell us a little about your latest novel, The Things We Cherished, and how it came about.



The Things We Cherished is about an accused Nazi collaborator, a forbidden love affair, and the missing antique clock that holds the secret to it all.  Charlotte is an American lawyer who has been asked by her ex-boyfriend to travel to Europe to work with his brother on the defense of an accused Nazi collaborator, Roger.  Roger mysteriously refuses to help in his own defense, only saying that the truth about what happens can be found in a missing antique clock, as Charlotte and her co-counsel Jack chase the clock across Europe, we see the timepiece in the intervening chapters throughout the twentieth century.  It is historical fiction, a mystery and romance all in one.  And it was inspired by a century old clock given to me by my husband for our first wedding anniversary, as well as by my own work in Europe on the Holocaust.

 You have had a very varied and interesting career path, are you concentrating on writing these days?
 With three children under the age of three, I’m concentrating on survival.  Seriously.  I also have a day job as a professor.  But I’m not complaining – I love all of the parts of my life.  I wrote the earlier novels from 5-7 in the morning while working as an attorney so managing the chaos has always been part of being an author for me.

Life is very busy for us all these days. What is your favourite way to unwind and relax?
Relaxation time is all relative these days.  I love going on adventures with my kids to a playground or park.  My ideal solo day might include a run, a nap, some shopping, and some writing (I really do find that relaxing.)  A night away with my husband, perhaps to the seaside, would be fabulous, but perhaps improbable at the moment.

What are you reading at the moment?
 The best novel I read recently was The Postmistress.  And I’m presently reading a non-fiction account of Americans who parachuted into the mountains of Slovakia during the war to help the partisans on a doomed mission as research for my next book.

What are you working on next?
 Another World War II novel, this time focusing on a young Polish woman who finds an American soldier wounded at an abandoned chapel in the forest.  After that, I’m not sure if I’ll move to the First World War or perhaps something on the American homefront during the Second World War.  One step at a time!
You can find out more about Pam Jenoff here

No comments:

Post a Comment