Tuesday 31 January 2012

W.I.P. Wednesday - Ist Feb


Mandy Baggot
Photos courtesy of the author

Today we hear from Mandy Baggot



At the moment in the House of Baggot I am doing the final edits on my next novel, Taking Charge. Copies have gone out to my lovely beta readers and I am doing the final and horrendous line edit. This basically means I am going through the manuscript line by line, not reading the story at all but looking at the punctuation, the sense of it all (or not!) checking it actually reads in English and not ancient Inca!



So, my new novel is called Taking Charge and this one is set entirely in America. In 2010 I visited my dad in Michigan and it was the first time we had seen each other since he moved there ten years previously. We were supposed to stay for ten nights but thanks to 'that' volcano in Iceland we were there for twenty one nights instead! This gave me tonnes of inspiration - the place, the people, the way of life and the story for Taking Charge was born. 

Robyn Matthers is my heroine and she's returning to America from England because her dad has had a major heart attack. Because of something that's happened in her past Robyn is torn between feeling delighted to be back in her home country and terrified because it evokes unpleasant memories. By page two of the novel she has met the hot ice hockey player Cole Ryan. He appears to be Mr Perfect on the outside but underneath that muscular body and behind the ebony coloured eyes is a fragile person holding on to life by his fingernails. There is also an ex-boyfriend in the mix, the good-looking town cop Brad Willis who was Robyn's beau in high school and hasn't really moved on. But my favourite characters are probably Robyn's almost stepmother, trailer trash personified, Nancy, Robyn's loud, opinionated father Eddie and his hospital room mate Max. These three provide most of the comedic moments of the piece.
So, there's love, there are secrets and humour but does Taking Charge have a plot twist? Of course! It's a Mandy Baggot novel isn't it!!


@mandybaggot on Twitter

Link to Mandy's books on Amazon.co.uk here
Link to Mandy's books on Amazon.com here

I am looking forward to Mandy's next novel  :)


DizzyC

No comments:

Post a Comment