Tuesday 6 March 2012

W.I.P. Wednesday -7th March



Nicky Wells is my guest today sharing her latest......





Photo courtesy of author


So… Part 1 of my rock star romance trilogy, Sophie’s Turn, has been ‘out’ and available on the Internet since last July.  It had a very long maturing time—six years, to be precise—and its initial publication (by me) took me as much by surprise as it did my friends, family and the rest of the world.

No sooner was my masterpiece out in the open than I realised there was a sequel to be written.  Sophie’s story was far from finished!  Thus, while marketing Sophie’s Turn like mad (or like a mad woman, as some would say), I started developing the plot for the sequel.  Don’t get me wrong, I’ve always known where Sophie’s story would take her, eventually, but I had not actually previously considered sitting down and thrashing it all out.  On paper.  For the world to see.

But now it was incumbent on me to make that happen.  Bizarrely, I hammered out much of the precise story line while on holiday with my family in Wales.  I had my trusty notebook with me, and every morning, every night and at every available opportunity in between, I would write down ideas for scenes and events.  By the end of the week, I had my hand-drawn flowchart for the plot right there in my notebook, and I knew, then, that the sequel was going to happen.  In fact, I knew, then, that it was going to be more than one sequel because, try as I might, I couldn’t fit the rest of Sophie’s story into one single second book.  My books are quite long as it is, or so I’m told, so aiming for 1,000 pages seemed a bit extreme!  Thus, I concluded planning Part 2 and outlined in a nutshell the concluding book, Part 3.  But it is Part 2 that I would like to introduce today because … (drumroll) it is, in fact, complete in draft form!!

It took me four months of three or four mornings’ worth of writing to put together this amazing second part of my rock star romance trilogy, and it is currently coming in at a proud 149,033 words, or roughly 400 pages.  I haven’t finalised the title, so I’ll share my working title with you… but it is one hell of an exciting read, if I say so myself.

Expect weddings (yes, plural!); several journeys; trips to the hospital; a rock concert and a single; betrayal; laugh-out-loud comedy moments; and, of course, true love.  Here is the blurb (subject to change, but call it a sneak peek):

Sophie’s Run

When life refuses to go to plan, Sophie takes drastic action.

Who says that the road towards true love is straight and even?  Sophie is certainly discovering that it is anything but.

So she has finally found the man of her dreams!  Well… she knows who he is, even though she hasn’t actually quite met him yet.  But she misses her opportunity, and then her life goes crazy.  Rock star and ex-fiancé, Dan, keeps getting in the way of her new romance—even if he is just trying to be helpful.  A fire, an impromptu mini-trip with Dan, and a dreaded wedding later, Sophie is still struggling to meet the love of her life.  Then, just as she is getting it together with her perfect man, best friend Rachel commits an act of unspeakable betrayal.  And to top it all, her new boyfriend leaves her lying in the mud.

Sophie has had enough.  Confused and distraught, she decides that it is time for radical change.  Surprising herself and shocking her friends, she embarks on a secret journey of geographical, cultural and self-discovery that eventually gets her life back on track.


***********

Over the coming months, I will be gathering feedback from beta readers, making edits, designing the cover, planning a marketing strategy, editing, proofing, proofing, proofing (and did I mention proofing?).

And it is at this point that I have to interrupt this post with BREAKING NEWS.  This is a real-life example of events overtaking your plans in the best possible way.  Because this here author, Nicky Wells, has just signed her debut novel Sophie’s Turn with the amazing Sapphire Star Publishing.  This means that Sophie’s Turn will be officially relaunched by Sapphire Star Publishing on 6 September 2012.  Whoop whoop!  In addition, this fantastic development has some implications for the sequel described above, as the publication of the sequel will be just a little delayed.  But watch this space!  I will be keeping the lovely Carol posted!  Or visit me on my blog for more news and updates.  You can also follow me on Twitter and find me on Facebook.  In the meantime, thank you for visiting today.  And what’s that I like to say… Rock On! 

No comments:

Post a Comment