Wednesday 31 October 2012

Guest Author - Janice Horton

Today I welcome back to the blog, the lovely, JANICE HORTON who is celebrating the launch of her novella HOW DO YOU VOODOO?

photos courtesy of the author


Thanks for answering my questions today, Janice


How Do you Voodoo? is a little different from your other novels?  Where did the idea come from?

Interestingly, the idea for How Do You Voodoo?was sparked by a real life event. I was on a flight back from the Caribbean which had originated in Port au Prince, Haiti, when two female passengers got into an argument on board. When one of the women went onto to be quite ill later in the flight, my imagination took over and I started scribbling down the synopsis for a story about a girl with a voodoo curse on her and what happened afterwards!

Story Synopsis: How Do You Voodoo?

Loveless fashion model Nola Nichols thinks being beautiful is a curse; that is until she is cursed and her looks begin to fade just a week before the most important photo shoot of her career.
Nola rejects all rational explanation on what might be causing her lost looks and decides she has to find a way to get uncursed. This imaginative quest takes her from the Caribbean to Glasgow’s own City of the Dead. Along the way, she finds herself taking part in a rather unconventional funeral, involved in a voodoo ritual, reveals one or two unrests in her own past and falls madly in love with a doctor. Erm, that would be a witch doctor, right…?

This one is a novella, was it easier or more difficult to write?

This is my first novella and, although at 20,000 words it was much quicker to write that my full length novels, I don’t think it was any less difficult! In fact, I found the writing process very similar in the respect of creating character, plot, story arc, etc.  The only difference is how I tell the story.In my longer novels, I have more characters and more viewpoints and there is at least one subplot. In How Do You Voodoo?the story is told only from Nola’s viewpoint and there is no subplot, only a bit of backstory that I weave in as the story progresses, so that we understand why she behaves as she does and what she really wants in life.

Will you be looking at writing another novella, or are you working on a full novel next?
I’m working on another full length novel at the moment but I’m aware that I’m not the fastest novelist in the world and so it’s unlikely to be finished, edited and formatted, until mid-2013. It occurred to me that there are certain times of the year, like Halloween, Christmas and Valentine’s Day, when it’s an ideal time to bring out a novella to keep your readers interested in your writing between full length novels or perhaps to introduce them to your writing.It also gives me a bit of fun.  If How Do You Voodoo?proves to be popular then I’ll release another two follow on novellas over the next year. I already have ideas for Voodoo Wedding and Voodoo Child.


Janice Horton lives in Scotland and writes contemporary romance with humour. Her novels ‘Bagpipes & Bullshot’ and ‘Reaching for the Stars’ are both Amazon Kindle bestsellers. Her latest title ‘How Do You Voodoo?’ is a romantic and humorous novella for Halloween and out now!



Find out more about Janice and her novels:
Like her AuthorFacebook Page
Featured Author & Associate Editor at:Loveahappyending.com
Link to her ebooks on Amazon.co.uk
Link to her ebooks on Amazon.com

No comments:

Post a Comment