Tuesday 23 October 2012

Review: The Girl on the Mountain - Carol Ervin

  • Format: Kindle Edition
  • Publisher: Carol L. Ervin (29 Aug 2012)
  • ASIN: B00941HNC4

The blurb

When her husband disappears, young May Rose is stranded in a rough town owned by a company logging the last of West Virginia’s virgin forest. It’s 1899, and a woman alone has few options. As she struggles to sustain herself, she discovers people are not what they seem--not the husband who wooed her with stories and songs, not the wild, dirty child, the sullen cook, nor the stiff boardinghouse proprietor, and certainly not the company manager, pillar of the town. But May Rose is also not the obedient woman she once was. She’s been scorned as the girl on the mountain, the subject of shocking stories, yet there’s more to her than anyone expected. To survive, she must distinguish friend from foe, defend herself from predatory men and boys, and prove herself a person of value. Most important, she must believe that love is never wasted.


Firstly I have to say this author's writing is superb! 

The writing is so beautiful and vivid. It draws the reader right into the character's isolation within her home and marriage. so much so I could not read this at bedtime.  

A gripping tale that I could only fault because I expected some scenes to leave a little more to the imagination of the reader, so I could gloss over some scenes with my sensitive nature. Those less sensitive will enjoy the drama.

This is why I rated it 6 out of 10 for me. 

I received a review copy from the author for my honest opinion. This did not influence my review in any way

No comments:

Post a Comment