Tuesday 2 October 2012

Review: The Missing Rose by Serdar Ozkan

  • Publisher: Rider (5 July 2012)
  • ISBN-13: 978-1846043413
  • Also on Kindle

The blurb

Mentioned in the same breath as The Little Prince, Jonathan Livingston Seagull and The Alchemist, Serdar Ozkan's enchanting debut novel The Missing Rose has the power to change your life.  Translated into 44 languages, it has already captured the hearts of readers around the world.

This is the story of Diana Oliveira, a beautiful yet troubled young woman whose desire for admiration and approval has made her lose sight of who she really is.  When her mother's deathbed confession reveals the existence of a sister, Diana sets out to find the twin she never knew she had.  Her travels lead to a mysterious rose garden, where she is given lesson that change her forever.

The Missing Rose is a poetic yet insightful modern parable about love, self-discovery, hope and the importance of remaining true to your dreams.

Diana is grieving for her mother when she has to also deal with the shock of discovering she has a twin, Mary.  A series of letters from her mother and Mary take Diana on a journey that  forces her to question herself.  A journey that sees Diana discover more about herself than she thought possible.

Mathias, a local artist has a story of his own and when these two characters come together they are able to help each other discover truths about themselves as individuals and as a couple.

This delightful and thought provoking story has been popular around the world and I can see why.  It was a book I could not put down.  It was thought provoking and made me take a look at myself.  It came at a time when I am going through some changes and taking stock of who I am and how I am perceived by others was theraputic.  

This novel is a modern day parable which is not at all rushed or shortened despite only being 184 pages long.

One to stay on the keeper shelf as I am sure I could find more in it re-reading again.

9/10 for me!

I received a review copy from the publisher for my honest review.




No comments:

Post a Comment