Wednesday 12 December 2012

Festive Fun - Day 12 Nicky Wells

Nicky Wells shares her German traditional Christmas for Day 12 of Festive Fun Author Advent




What is your favourite festive film/book or both?
My favourite festive book is The Christmas Mystery by Jostein Gaarder. It's like an advent calendar, written in twenty-four Chapters, one for each day of December before Christmas. It also *tells* the story of an advent calendar; a somwehat unusual one that contains no chocolate, but instead pieces together the story of a little girl called Elisabet. Yes, a story within a story ~ it's very clever. Elisabet starts a journey across time and space from contemporary Norway all the way to Jerusalem on the day of Jesus' birth. She meets all the key players along the way ~ the three kings, angels, sheep, shepherds, and discovers a lot of the religious and geographic history of Europe. It's absolutely awesome and the kids love it. And... it has a double happy ending!

Favourite childhood memory for the season?
The 'big' day in Germany is December 24. I'd wake up with a sense of anticipation in the morning and when I'd get up the lounge door would be locked, and the frosted glass in it would be dark: nothing to see, no action, nothing. Then, half-way through the day, twinkly lights would appear, shining blurred through the frosted glass, and I would know that the Christmas tree was there. The Christchild was on its way! Mum would be cooking delicious food in the kitchen and we'd have an early festive dinner. Afterwards, when all was tidied away, there'd be a tinkly bell in the lounge (it took me YEARS to figure out how Mum pulled that off) and then I'd have to recite a poem or sing a song before 'going in'. All the family would be assembled at the door, just waiting to enter. And then, the moment when the door was opened and I'd get to go in the lounge, all dark apart from the fairy lights on the Christmas tree... to find the presents underneath. AWESOME.

Bucks Fizz or Mulled Wine or other?
Both. Occasionally mixed together. Trust me on that!

Mince pie or Choc Yule Log?
Choc Yule Log. Can't *stand* mince pies. More to the point, I don't like fruit cake (probably because I am one) and so Christmas cake doesn't do it for me either. (And yes, we had a three tier sumptuous luxury sponge cake at our wedding, not a traditional fruit cake. My dislike is hardcore!)

Christmas dinner – Turkey or Beef or other?
German tradition dictates goose with all the trimmings: dumplings, sweet red cabbage cooked with apples, sprouts, beans, and so on. I never know when my goose is cooked, plus I get terrible indigestion from the poor bird, so we've kept the tradition but substituted the goose for a humble chicken. I know, turkey would be the obvious replacement choice but *whispers, lest our American friends should get upset* I find turkey dry and stringy. Probably my fault for not cooking it right, LOL. This year, we're hoping to go adventurous and try a three-bird-roast as long as Waitrose delivers. Bon apetit!

You open the door to Carollers, who would be your dream team of Carollers?
My dream team of Carollers... let's see. Jon Bon Jovi, Joey Tempest, Emily Sande, Anastacia, Adele, Chris Martin and Steve Overland. And they'd have to sing Silent Night, followed by Let It Snow, Let It Snow, Let It Snow. (Because I love snow!)

Thank you, Nicky 

Author of the Rock Star Romance Trilogy:
Sophie's Turn out now ~ Sophie's Run out 7 February 2013 ~ Sophie's Encore out 7 September 2013
Signed author with Sapphire Star Publishing
Proud to be a loveahappyending.com featured author and member of the Romantic Novelists' Association
Visit my blog; follow me on Twitter, or find me on Facebook.
Rock on!

No comments:

Post a Comment