Monday 24 December 2012

Festive Fun - Day 24 - Isla Dewar

The last, but no means the least guest for Festive Fun only just made it with floods and flu to deal with. Glad to see Isla Dewar made it! 





Favourite Carol or Festive Song

I like Silent Night sung in German. Also jump about to John and Yoko’s
Merry Christmas. And, though it’s not exactly a Christmas thing, I love
Prokfiev’s Lieutenant Kije suite. Sometimes the endless Christmas music can
get you down. Hearing Jesu Joy of Man’s Desiring – normally a blissful piece – plunked out in a wildly thronging shop as you’re being jostled and bustled can be disheartening.

Favourite Festive Film

It’s a Wonderful Life. That’s it. Watch it every year. Always shed a tear.

Favourite Childhood Memory

It was Christmas tradition in our house that presents were left on the armchairs in the living room. My sister had the one on the left of the hearth. I got the one on the right. Squeals as we ripped open our parcels. Then we’d run through to our Mum and Dad’s bedroom to show them what Santa had brought. But my favourite childhood memory is of my son when he was little.
Christmas Eve in St Andrews, church bells were chiming out carols and it was snowing. I was doing last minute shopping with my son. He was three and tired and he’d had enough. I was searching for Queen’s Greatest Hits for his older brother and eventually found it in a small shop in a cobbled side street. Adam refused to come in. Shook his head, pouted and wouldn’t budge. The street was empty; the shop had a huge window. I said he could wait outside if he stayed put and didn’t talk to anyone. I went into the shop, keeping an eye on the boy, got the record, paid and turned my back to pay. When I turned back, Adam was deep in conversation with a man. I rushed out. And the man was charming and had been charmed. He thought my boy wonderful. We chatted. I thanked him for taking time to talk to my son. It started to snow harder. The real Hollywood dream downfall. We stamped fresh footprints. And the man – I’ll never know his name – ran after us and gave Adam a huge box of chocolates.
Of course I refuses. But he insisted. And then he was gone. I’ve always wondered who he was. And who didn’t get the wonderfully gift-wrapped box of Belgian chocs. It was a real Christmas gesture.

The Tree – Real or Artificial?

Real every time. This year it is a living tree, grown in a pot and planted outside when the season is over.  We buy something new to put on it every year. So when we bring out our box of baubles we can remember Christmases past as we decorate the tree. My favourites are a set of twelve wooden carvings that represent the days of Christmas in the carol.

Bucks Fizz or Mulled Wine

Bucks Fizz. I am also fond of a mug of hot chocolate drunk by the wood stove after a walk.

Turkey or Beef

Usually turkey. But this year we’re having a haunch of venison. Still exploring recipes.

Dream Team of Carollers

I thought Maria Callas and Bruce Springsteen. Wondered what that would sound like. But my heart would still if I opened my door to Aretha Franklin, Nina Simone, Bessie Smith and Billie Holiday belting out anything at all – even Jingle Bells would do.


Isla Dewar writes contemporary fiction and historical romances including 
Izzy's War and A Winter Bride




Thank you, Isla

No comments:

Post a Comment